Friday, May 3, 2013

Zombies on my freaking lawn! Why I still love PvZ

Yes, once again, there are zombies on my freaking lawn!  I feel like Crazy Dave with a pot on my head...or butter, no, he wears a frying pan.  Anyway, I love PvZ (Plants vs. Zombies)!  No matter what the iOS game de jour is, I find myself humming along to the soothing sounds of my zen garden, or trying to break my streak in Vase Breaker Infinite (currently, up to 18).

So what keeps me coming back?  A couple of things:  I'm a completist and I still haven't achieved all the achievements.  Yep, OCD, that's me.  The game play is simple to learn and changes enough from level to level that it doesn't seem too repetitive.  There are mini-games and puzzles.  Also, you really feel like you're getting a lot of content for your money.  In the age of $60 games with a play thru time of 8 hours (about $7.50/hour of play time), considering how much I play PvZ, I probably paid fractions of pennies for each hour.

I, like many other fans of PvZ, worry that EA will fill PvZ2, coming out this summer, with in-app purchases and take it down the same rough road they have with other IP's they've acquired (cough SimCity).  We'll have to see when it comes out.  EA has a bad reputation from trying to squeeze every penny out of the consumer.  While PvZ currently has in-app purchase available, they're not necessary to enjoy the game, which I really appreciate.

The game's not big, it's not flashy.  It has nice graphics, a great sense of humor and you get more than your money's worth.  Let's hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment